Subject: Re: i386 bootselector changes
To: Antti Kantee <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/2003 21:04:52

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:32:15PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> Did someone change the bootselector to use numbers 1-m instead of F1-Fm?
> I accidentally wiped out my bootselector recently and had to install a
> new one today because I need to boot to The Great OS tomorrow to get some
> important stuff done.  I spent a few nice moments cursing my life when the
> good old Fm keys didn't do what I expected, and just blurted out a rather
> ghastly "Error".  Lucky me it timed out before I did anything desperate.

I've noticed this too. I think it was done to help support serial=20
consoles, where we might not easily know what key 'F1' is.

However I'd really like the old behavior back. NetBSD has used F1-Fm for=20
YEARS, and F1-Fm are easier to find on the keyboard than 1-m. :-)

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)