Subject: Re: Seagate STT3401A ATAPI tape not working
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/2003 10:54:00
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:12:23AM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> > I've been using Seagate travan drives for a long while under NetBSD, but
> > only since 1.6 have I attempted to use the ATAPI version as opposed to
> > SCSI.
> >
> > The 10/20 drives work OK (STT20000), though setting hardware compression
> > seems to fail (mt compress 1 gives Operation not supported by device).
> > However, the 20/40GB drives (STT3401A) don't work under NetBSD 1.6.1 or
> > -current. They work fine under Windows 2000 using the Seagate diagnostics.
> >
> > Trying to write a tar file (cd /; tar -cpl .) gives the following
> > immediately and the tar exits with status 3:
> > tar: only wrote 5120 of 10240 bytes to /dev/rst0
> >
> > This is followed by a kernel message:
> > st0: WARNING: cannot revert to default density
>
> No other error messages from kernel ?

No, there are no other messages. The tar message is immediate, the kernel
message is just as control is returned to the user (after the tape has
rewound).

This drive also panics a 1.6.1 kernel at boot time if a tape is present
like its 10/20GB sibling. See:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/09/08/0003.html

You might also be interested to note that FreeBSD 5.1 completely locks
when attempting the same tar. (Windows 2000 works fine).

--
Stephen