Subject: Re: Successful install of OpenOffice 1.1 release for linux
To: None <netbsd@ns.purk.ee>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/2003 09:41:59
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:16:10 +0300 netbsd@ns.purk.ee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How much memory do you have on that maschine?It failed to start with 256MB ;-)
> Older version works ok for me though.It takes 20 sec to start even on fast
> scsi based box.
>
> Greetings

Weird. I have a 256Mb Dell L400 laptop, current, linux emul, sun java 1.3.1 and
1.4 and 1.0.3, 1.1.0rc3/4 and 1.1.0 all worked fine. 20sec delay to start, sure
but I had no problems with non-display of the install window during
setup/install, and IIRC even the non-java install ran ok, and left me with
functional OpenOffice.

I have procfs and kernfs active. I have a symlink from /etc/mtab to
/emul/linux/etc/mtab. procfs is running with the linux flag in fstab.

intermediate versions did have problems btw, mainly with their weird 'registry'
for library components which is rebuilt during installation. Also, with
coredumps/deaths. But this one runs fine. During runtime, I get a stream of
these messages to the stderr of the window running soffice:

	file_image_pagein: Function not implemented

hope this provides some clues to a working config. I don't think 256Mb is the
source of the problem!

could it be kernel level stuff? Obviously I have COMPAT_LINUX, I have USER_LDT
as well but I didn't think that was involved in /emul stuff.

-George

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064