Subject: Re: Missing atapibus target 1
To: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/15/2003 16:08:44
On Wednesday 15 October 2003 12:04 am, Gary Duzan wrote:
> In Message <20031014204453.GB1362@antioche.eu.org> ,
>    Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:
>
> =>Sorry, I forgot another test. Please try attached patch.
>
>    That fixed it; I get wd0, wd1, and cd0, no problems. Thanks.

You probably don't realize this because you got lucky before, but the "ATAPI
master with ATA slave" configuration that you're using is actually
specifically unsupported in the ATA spec.  In this case the master is
behaving incorrectly and causing you to get bogus results from the slave.

The proposed patch is really not correct, and it is not worthwhile to make
many machines boot slower in order to support incorrect setups.