Subject: Re: ESS1879 sound issues
To: None <aliver@xexil.com>
From: Holger Rasch <Holger.Rasch@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2003 13:47:36
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 aliver@xexil.com wrote:
[...]
> 	The audio interface has a plug 'n play ID string of "ESS1879". The
> laptop is rather old (233MMX Pentium). The only freeware drivers I know of
> are those for FreeBSD and the Linux ALSA drivers. The chipset is
> full-duplex and should work with a standard 18XX series driver.
> 	I tried editing the isapnpdevs file in /usr/src/sys/dev/isapnp and
> also the strings in ess_pnpbios.c located in
> /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/pnpbios but it would appear that more work is
> needed to get it working. Those files, did not, however seem to have any
> knowledge of the ESS1879 (only the ESS1878 in -current).
> 	Is there some other files I should be looking at editing? I'm
> pretty sure that some work has already been done to make this chipset work
> because both ess.c and ess.h in /usr/src/sys/dev/isa have references to
> the 1879 chipset.

From my Fujitsu Biblo B110 (also 233MMX Pentium, i.e., old) dmesg output:

   ess0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 0 drq2 5
   ess0: ESS Technology ES1879 [version 0x688b]
   ess0: audio1 interrupting at irq 5

but this is still version 1.5.1. So it appears that the chip has been
supported in older versions of NetBSD. Did you only try to use it
via pnpbios? If I remember correctly that didn't work for my machine;
I had to uncomment the ISA configuration, which still exists in
the GENERIC config of a ~2 weeks old current.

  Holger