Subject: Re: Replacing battery in APC UPS
To: Simon J. Gerraty <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2003 14:27:48
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:04:55AM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> My UPS needs a new battery... anyone know if theres any real
> difference (apart from price ;-) b/w the genuine APC part (RBC7) or
> any of the 3rd party replacements?

Often the genuine APC part uses very low-quality batteries from random
low-cost manufacturers.

You already have the old battery packs, so you have the appropriate bits
of wire to connect the individual batteries together and can just buy
appropriate laed-acid AGM batteries.  McMaster-Carr is a good source for
these in the U.S.; they usually sell PowerSonic brand batteries, which
are very good.  Find the battery you need in the McMaster online catalog
using connector type, voltage, and physical dimensions; it will have at
least the same capacity as the original one that APC used and replacing
just the batteries will be much cheaper than buying a prebuilt "pack"
from a UPS reseller or the like.

 Thor Lancelot Simon