Subject: Re: Two observations.
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2003 09:35:03
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:06:12PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > Since I went from CD for two versions of -current over a short span of
> > time (and didn't use the system much between), I can't say for certain,
> > anymore.
>
> Most of the changes went in early July 2003, so both are 'recent'.
> (ie post my rototil)

If I somehow wound up with an old copy of sysinst (I don't see how), it may be
worth pointing out that my last build was around the end of June or beginning
of July, I think.  Then something broke in my builds and I didn't have time
to deal with it.

I don't see how anything could be left over from there, but the timing would
be about right.  How good is sysinst at hiding when it doesn't want to be
updated?  (^&

> > > The way /etc is handled is broken!
> >
> > I wasn't relying on much by way of automation.  The first time around, I just
> > did an "update" from the burned CD, and was quasi-manually merging via
> > "diff".
>
> >  Most files were unchanged, or varied only by my configuration changes.
>
> Yes - and the files you'd changed probably only contained comments before.

More or less.

> > I am beginning to believe that I should set up a DHCP server to
> > simplify system upgrades for those times when I don't have a pre-update/
> > pre-upgrade version of /etc from which to get network configurations...
>
> I did once sort out a list of all the files I had to edit after
> a simple re-install....

The main one that I need is /etc/hosts, though /etc/fstab doesn't hurt.
Nightly backups go over NFS for most of my systems, and from there I can
get what I need quickly.

There's no real reason that I shouldn't remember their IP numbers on
my private net (especially the file server) but I always use their
names.

> > > mmm which version of sysinst were you running?
> > > /dev/wd0a should (now) have been mounted of /targetroot
> > > Anything that assumes /mnt needs fixing.
> >
> > Whatever I got from building -current to "release" and then "sets".
>
> There must be a lurking /mnt somewhere.....

So it would seem.  Though the process has been so frustrating (from
failing to build some time go, the brief jaunt through MonopolySoft
land, repeated failures to build since putting NetBSD back on it,
giving up and going for a snapshot, finding that my CD-RW drive was
on the fritz (well, needed cleaning), ...) that I've lost track of
when I did what when I had to the two successful installs lately.

However, I've done multiple "cvs update -PAd"s.  I'm pretty sure that
no sources older than September were in there.

Perhaps I can explore this more explicitly in a day or few.  (The
laptop should be backed up by now.)