Subject: Re: Can LFS be trusted yet?
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2003 14:09:53
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:55:09AM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:
> In article <Pine.NEB.4.53.0310130428460.21880@sabre.xexil.com> you write:
> >Can LFS be trusted for a desktop / workstation workload yet? Also, does
> >anyone know if sysinst will support installing using LFS filesystems in
> >the next "real" release of NetBSD?
>
> I've used it for /var/tmp since before NetBSD 1.6 was released, and it's not
> done anything surprising yet.  I'd consider it stable enough for
> non-critical systems as long as there's enough disc for it to play with.

Up until recently, I was using an LFS partition for object directories
on my main build machine - it was quite fast, and I have no intention
of NFS exporting object directories.  But I found that the machine was
starting to hang about 4 weeks ago when 5 simultaneous cross-builds
were happening at the one time, and so I migrated the object dirs onto
an ffs+softdeps partition. I'll try again sometime soon - it looks like
there has been significant activity (thanks, yamt!) in that area. I
didn't file a PR because I was a bit busy around that time. I am SURE
that YMMV.

Regards,
Alistair
--