Subject: how to install pkgsrc compiled on another machine?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/2003 19:05:06
Hi,

I have one question about pkgsrc stuff.  How can I install pkgsrc
compiled on another machine?  The another machine is faster, so
I compiled there.  When I come to the slower machine and type
"make install", it responds like:

  $ make install
  ===> Checking for vulnerabilities in emacs-21.3nb2

  $

Nothing happens.  The "make reinstall" works.  However, it doen't
check the dependencies.

  $ make reinstall
  ===> Checking for vulnerabilities in emacs-21.3nb2
  ===> Installing for emacs-21.3nb2
  ===> Becoming root@netbsd.nerv.org to install emacs.
  /usr/bin/su Password:
  env: /usr/pkg/bin/gmake: No such file or directory
  *** Error code 127

I guess there is some problem to check the dependencies of programs
compiled on another machine.  "make -d c install" showed following.

  lhs = "YES", rhs = "YES", op = ==
  lhs = "overwrite", rhs = "pkgviews", op = ==
  lhs = "overwrite", rhs = "pkgviews", op = ==
  lhs = "overwrite", rhs = "pkgviews", op = ==
  lhs = "yes", rhs = "yes", op = ==
  lhs = "cat", rhs = "man", op = ==
  lhs = "static", rhs = "dynamic", op = ==
  *** Error code 1

I'm just wondering if this is not expected behavior...
If this is, I'll try to make binary packages.  But, installing
programs compiled from source on another machine is just easy. ;)

Thanks in advance.
-- Kazushi