Subject: Re: gif(4) problems
To: Thomas Hertz <thomas@hz.se>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/09/2003 11:25:12
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Thomas Hertz wrote:

> Recently I've experienced several kernel panics when executing "ifconfig
> gif0 destroy". Is this just my system, or can anyone else reproduce
> this? Currently I cannot test this myself on a "clean" setup until next
> week.

"Me, too". Kernel source of a few days ago, userland of September 24.
I hesitated to report because my setup isn't clean, either -- it
doesn't boot at all without the patch I posted for PR kern/21842.

I'm currently using Hurricane Electric's free IPv6 in IPv4 tunnels. I
modified the user contributed perl script to configure my end to
destroy that tunnel and re-create every time ppp negotiates a new IPv4
address, because as of 1.6Q, that cleaned it all up nicely and deleted
the route, too. With 1.6ZC, deleting gif0 panics everytime. (Creating
and deleting gif1 is OK.) What's more, none of the configured tunnels
ever transmits a single IPv6 packet, whether on gif0 or gif1.

Frederick