Subject: Re: request for guidance
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/2003 00:35:08
On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:31:11PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> I did notice that for each directory, there are (I believe) seven
> invocations of make, just during the dependall stage. As disks aren't
> that fast, and getting the make file, and all file timestamps can take
> a while, this really slows things down. Is it really neccesary to chew
> through make that many times?

anything in the works to make building the world a non-recursive make?
I understand pkgsrc being recursive due to environment issues and make
vs gmake, but it seems like a better job could be done "in-house" so to
speak...  even on faster machines it seems like time could be saved by
improving the make mechanism.

it seems like bsd.subdir.mk could be tweaked somehow to do an include of
the subdirectory's Makefile instead of recursing.  long-term wishlist I
guess...

  "someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
  to write provably correct software.  also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown