Subject: Re: isdnd & redialing when remote disconnects
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Martin Husemann <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2003 13:42:44
On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:20:45PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> While we're on the issue of pppoe and ifwatchd... I noted that with a
> -current kernel on 1.6.1 userland, ifwatchd gets an "extra round" of
> up/down events during the daily disconnect [German Telekom]:

Something similar does sometimes happen with a -current ifwatchd too:

Oct  3 00:35:27 nightfall /usr/sbin/ifwatchd[149]: calling: /etc/ppp/ip-down pppoe0 /dev/null 9600
Oct  3 00:35:30 nightfall /usr/sbin/ifwatchd[149]: calling: /etc/ppp/ip-up pppoe0 /dev/null 9600

> This is somewhat annoying because the ip-{up,down} scripts communicate the
> ip address change to a nameserver, which then gets irritated by '0.0.0.?'
> ip addresses.

Yes, this is .. wrong.

> Is this a mismatch between the 1.6.1 ifwatchd and -current kernel
> interfaces, or a -current kernel issue?

No. Ifwatchd only uses the routing socket, and that API/ABI hasn't changed
in a long time (and should not change at all).

I've had no time to investigate, please file a PR.
It would be helpful if you could log the output of "route monitor" in parallel
when this happens the next time, and add an excerpt from that log to the PR.