Subject: Re: HP-UX crossbuild: tools/compat/configure zlib autoconf tests && pwd.h problems
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2003 11:14:48
[ Reading very old mail and worse, responding ...]

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> ...there are notes in src/compat/README about compiling on HPUX, so has
> anyone done it before?

That was me, but it was a while ago.  Time to do it again. :-/

I recall sending a few patches, and definitely I had all the cross
build tools working.  Advice was at the time that:

a) gcc is required

   I found a few problems with the host tools when compiling them with
   the HP ANSI C compiler.  It was suggested to me that I not bother
   trying to address those: better/simpler just to start with gcc.

   It seems unlikely at the moment that there are potential build
   platforms for NetBSD build.sh that don't have gcc available.

b) the 32bit v. 64bit build problems may still bite

   This may have been fixed with the gcc update, but with the older
   version that NetBSD was using until recently building a 64 bit
   NetBSD target required a 64 bit build environment.

   If this issue is still live, then there are both 32 bit and 64 bit
   versions of gcc for HP-UX.

Finally, I was only cross building on PA-RISC versions of HP-UX.
I didn't get around to trying on an IPF (IA-64, aka Itanium) system,

Regards,

Giles