Subject: current netbsd, old X11
To: None <>
From: Audun Arnesen Nordal <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2003 14:43:02
I just updated my netbsd installation to current after having postponed it
since the nathanw_sa merge (kudos to everyone involved in getting in SA
and gcc3). My only problems seem to have something to do with my X
installation, which I haven't updated since back in the 1.5.* days I
think (most X binaries and libraries are from March 2001).

First, I get lots of
egrep: /usr/X11R6/include/GL/glext.h: No such file or directory
when doing make in different pkgsrc packages. The build doesn't break, but
I suppose that isn't right.

I also have problems building x11/Xaw3d (needed by print/gv). When I try
to build it, eventually I get

+ cd .
+ gcc -o ./ -shared -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib
-Wl,-soname, AllWidgets.o AsciiSink.o AsciiSrc.o AsciiText.o
Box.o Command.o Dialog.o Form.o Grip.o Label.o Layout.o List.o
MenuButton.o MultiSrc.o MultiSink.o Paned.o Panner.o Porthole.o Repeater.o
Scrollbar.o Simple.o SimpleMenu.o Sme.o SmeBSB.o SmeLine.o SmeThreeD.o
StripChart.o Text.o TextSink.o TextSrc.o TextAction.o TextPop.o TextTr.o
ThreeD.o Toggle.o Tree.o Vendor.o Viewport.o XawIm.o XawI18n.o XawInit.o
laygram.o laylex.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11
-lXt -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXext -lX11
ld: cannot find -lXpm
+ rm -f
+ ln -s
+ true
rm -f
mv -f
mv: rename to No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/Xaw3d/work/xc/lib/Xaw3d

Still, libXpm is in /usr/X11R6/lib along with all the other libraries, so
I don't understand why ld skips it.

In a follow-up question, how do I build a current X-distribution?
Apparently it does not get built with distribution. I tried to do
a make build in /usr/src/x11, but that fails with

includes ===> tools/makekeys
includes ===> tools/xkbcomp
includes ===> include
make: don't know how to make DECkeysym.h. Stop

make: stopped in /usr/src/x11/include
*** Error code 2

All help appreciated.

Audun Nordal