Subject: Re: groff from today
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2003 15:00:14
This is from the 200309090000 snapshot. comp.tgz /usr/lib:

t23: {15} grep __pure_virtual *
Binary file libgcc.a matches
Binary file libgcc_p.a matches
Binary file libgcc_pic.a matches

You'll probably note that /usr/bin/gcc's date is older than several
files in /usr/lib, and perhaps /lib.

I'm quite certain that Andrew Brown's diagnosis is correct: your
libraries and compiler are out of sync. I experienced the same problem,
which only manifested itself when compiling groff. My solution was to
utilize the aforementioned snapshot's /lib and /usr/lib (I didn't have
to touch any headers, but perhaps I got lucky). I just backed up the
old, replaced with the new (well, the new old ;) and after building I
copied over a few necessary older libs.

-Steve