Subject: Re: request for guidance
To: VAX porting list <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/2003 23:31:11
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Rick Kelly wrote:

> A "make build" of -current on my dual Xeon 450 takes just over 3 hours,
> while my Athlon 1.0ghz running 1.5.x takes 70 minutes. ( the athlon would
> be slower with -current, as 1.5.x doesn't build a toolchain )
>
> My sun4c and sun4m machines take between 4 and 8 days to do "make build"

Hey! My VAX-8650 isn't slowest after all... Running "build.sh build" takes
about seven days...

I did notice that for each directory, there are (I believe) seven
invocations of make, just during the dependall stage. As disks aren't that
fast, and getting the make file, and all file timestamps can take a while,
this really slows things down. Is it really neccesary to chew through make
that many times?

> And on a sun3, a -current kernel takes greater than a day to build.

Gah. I just became very satisfied with my 8650... :-)

	Johnny