Subject: Re: request for guidance
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/2003 13:53:52
Steven M. Bellovin said:
>In message <20030929182549.GA13138@mail.devonit.com>, Dan Melomedman writes:
>>Rick Kelly wrote:
>>> I'm impressed with this new box. A Duron 1.3ghz is a lot faster than a
>>> P200 MMX! With the old box, it took about 9.5 hours to build.
>>
>>We shouldn't forget running newer software on old hardware is nice once in
>>a while to judge the bloat. I think these fast CPUs make developers lazy.
>>
>>Wonder how long it takes to compile just the kernel on P200.
>>
>Indeed.  On a 400 Mhz machine of mine, I gave up trying to get some
>pkgsrc-based nonsense fixed, and I decided to rebuilt to a new, clean,
>/usr/pkg.  About a day later, I've rebuilt 214 of the 381 packages I
>had had.  It's doing Mozilla now; I don't plan to check the total count
>for a while...

A -current kernel takes about 1.5 hours to build on P200 MMX. On the Duron
it takes a ferw minutes.

A "make build" of -current on my dual Xeon 450 takes just over 3 hours,
while my Athlon 1.0ghz running 1.5.x takes 70 minutes. ( the athlon would
be slower with -current, as 1.5.x doesn't build a toolchain )

My sun4c and sun4m machines take between 4 and 8 days to do "make build"

And on a sun3, a -current kernel takes greater than a day to build.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com