Subject: Re: Did the build defaults change?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/2003 08:22:14
I wrote 'etcmanage' to deal with this problem somewhat, and have been
using it happily.  It installs new versions of files in /etc (from a
distribution/destdir build) if the version in /etc is recorded as
previously automatically installed.  This lets me not think about
things that I never touched, which means that I do get to think about
things that I did touch.  I have a build script that does a tools
build, destdir build, and build to /, followed by automatic invocation
of etcmanage.

It would be cool if passwd/group and perhaps some other files that
have explicit 'set of lines' semantics could get this treatment on a
line-by-line basis.

http://www.ir.bbn.com/~gdt/etcmanage/index.html

(This is in perl and a bit buggy - it needs to be run multiple times
to converge since it modifies a db while iterating over it, but that's
a SMOP to fix.)

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>