Subject: Re: Inspiron 5000e Unexpected Poweroff
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@hub3.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/2003 23:58:19
Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> I am running NetBSD 1.6ZC from 9/19/2003 on a Dell Inspiron 5000e. If I
> leave the laptop on overnight or for several hours it seems that it is
> always powered off when I come back. When I then boot it up, it is
> apparent that it just shut off because all the filesystems are dirty and
> fsck must be run. Could this be an issue with NetBSD or is it just a
> hardware issue? Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

I've had this happen on-and-off over the last couple of months, and just
now half an hour ago (which reminded me to reply to your message).  I
think it's only happened once when its been plugged in to the mains.

I usually use two batteries, and I noticed this time after a reboot that
xbattbar said that the battery status was roughly half full, and my
hacked up apm(1) said one battery way 96% and the other 2%.  I wonder
if it's something to do with how it does the battery switch over.  It's
certainly an intermittent problem - I usually run both batteries right
down before plugging back in to mains.

I'll log a service call with Dell on Monday and see what they say...

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/