Subject: Starting X hangs system
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/2003 00:50:55
--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

Hello all,

I just cvs upped the latest current, and built it. When I rebooted the comp=
uter
all was fine until I tried a 'startx'. The screen mode got changed, but aft=
er
that nothing - the screen stayed black. The system didn't react to any
keypresses at all, and since the display got switched into a graphical mode
there were no kernel messages to inspect.

/var/log/messages didn't contain any errors, nor did /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

Before this, I used to run an older -current (something around, say, a month
old or less than that) which worked perfectly. I modified GENERIC to fit my
system, producing a config file almost identical to the one of the older ke=
rnel
version.

I also tried using the plain VGA X server, but that didn't work either.

My system is an AMD Athlon, VIA chipset, with an NVIDIA GeForce 2 graphics
board.

Can someone give me any hints as to what might be the cause of this?
If necessary, I can send my kernel config file as well.

Please CC any messages to me as well, since I'm not on the list.

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://www.student.kun.nl/peter.bex