Subject: Re: Raising maxproc soft limit
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/2003 14:21:24
Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> However, I couldn't run more than 4085 processes at a time. I raised
> maxusers in kernel config file to 1000, and then 2000, but the hard
> limit didn't change at all.
>
> Also I'm wondering why I got the following warning:
>
> $ config KRISHNA
> KRISHNA:27: warning: maxusers (1000) > 128
>
> Does that imply that NetBSD doesn't scale well enough to serve hundreds
> of users on a single machine, or something merely to give user a hint
> that there might a mistake w.r.t configuration?

MAXUSERS isn't the maximum number of users.  It's just a configuaration
parameter that is then used to set other limits (for example, the
maximum number of file descriptors and processes available to the
entire system).  Look at a ports "arch/foo/conf/file.foo" file for the
"maxusers" line to see what the available range is.

On my home box I have:

	options         MAXUPRC=500             # Something reasonable.

in my kernel config file, and

	ulimit -p `ulimit -H -p`

near the top of my /etc/rc.conf (Yes, there's probably a better way of doing
that).

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/