Subject: Re: today's openssh version 3.7
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/2003 09:39:11
Matthias Scheler wrote:

> In article <3F6A8D3B.2A1024F8@greendragon.com>,
>         William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com> writes:
> > Never-the-less, I started this thread because (much to my surprise)
> > debian took less than 2 minutes!  It's also easier!  And it scales!
>
> You were just lucky. I've seen people which wanted to fetch a security
> patch and ended (several hours) later with a mostly new Linux
> installation because the "libc" package was updated. Needless to say
> that several things were broken afterwards.

So, you are claiming the package maintainers do a bad job?  On some
particular (unspecified) release of Linux?

And this is different in some way from NetBSD, where a single change
last summer rendered printf in sh inoperable, so I couldn't even run
make to recompile, and had to do a complete reinstallation from *.tgz?

Rampant partisanship really annoys me, and isn't beneficial to the
discussion.  I'm hoping that this project can "catch up" to features
in other distributions.  If the package maintainers are so much better
here, great!

But, I was really pleasantly surprised at the ease of updating debian,
an operating system where I had no previous experience, and I'd like
that around here, too.  I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Thus, I'm reading the tech-pkg list, to get an idea where things stand,
and see what I can contribute.  See you there....
--
William Allen Simpson