Subject: "108%" full filesystem?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/2003 15:25:40
For a while, I put off updating my laptop to -current, then in a fit of madness,
I put MonopolySoft's GUI on it (there was actually a reason).  It was short-
lived, but then I brought it back to NetBSD/i386: First 1.6, then attempting to
get it running -current.  (It hadn't been updated to -current since around
July, I think.)

After some thought, I decided to let it run with one big filesystem,
especially since -current now dynamic-links everything, and I intend to
use the laptop primarily as a terminal & to play with -current.

Under 1.6, it's about 24% full on wd0a.

Under -current, it is 108% full, and the boot process aborts to single-user.
After running fsck_ffs /, it fixes up the one problem mentioned in UPDATING
about FFS changes, but still is 108% full.

a) It's a little silly that a disk can claim to be 100% full.  Once
   it's up to using *all* of the bits, there aren't any more bits.
   (This makes me worry that it may be in danger of corrupting the
   system at that point...I seem to recall dumping a large bunch of
   data to a small / in the past, and hitting "105%" full...)

b) More important: Is there a way to get -current up without a snapshot?
   What has changed that keeps -current from working with my present
   disk?

   (A snapshot isn't out of the question, but is a bit of extra mucking
   about since, per a ~1 year old PR, I need to hack the driver for my
   ethernet card for anything more recent than 1.5.x...)

(If it comes to it, I can burn a snapshot onto CD, with a custom kernel
in tow..(^&)

Thanks in advance.