Subject: Re: NetBSD-almostcurrent failing on install
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/2003 21:14:39
Peter Seebach wrote:

> So, I have a NetBSD-1.6ZB kernel and install set, which starts working,
> but fails on the newfs of /dev/rsd0a because it got a write error
> trying to access block 128 of the disk.  Before this, it complains that
> it can't figure out what geometry to use when talking to the disk.
>
> I've tried the canonical thing to clear up SCSI disk geometry problems -
> dd
> from /dev/zero to the first few blocks of rsd0d.  However, it still seems
> to be confused.
>
> Anyone else seen similar behavior on recent -current?  I don't think I've
> seen SCSI geometry problems in YEARS, so I don't know for sure what the
> troubleshooting steps are now.

Using NetBSD 1.6ZC i386 from yesterday's sources, newfs failed for
the /dev/wd0a I had prepared using sysinst. I had to hook the drive
to a machine running -current from about a week ago or so to newfs
it.

BTW, how does sysinst run installboot now? Installboot has changed
and I couldn't determine how to get it to install a bootable
bootblock. I finally loaded sysinst up again and had it install
the bootblock.