Subject: Re: gnu/dist/gettext/src is *very* old
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/2003 09:45:54
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:35:38 +0900 Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
wrote:

> >> the msgfmt version in NetBSD is from 2000. this is under
> >gnu/dist/gettext/src. I guess you're asking that the base system gettext be
> >upgraded. I second that.
>
> 	unfortunately we cannot.  our BSD-licensed libintl (src/lib/libintl)
> 	does not support the file format generated by recent gettext.
>
> itojun

Arg. Thats a bummer. Is it up for review, or resolution at a later time?

So far, I only have one application which is affected by this. But it sounds
like a recipe for disaster, if i8n efforts in GTK/Gnome software continue.

And, indeed I found the pkgsrc/devel/gettext a PITA to use. Maybe we need to
concentrate on getting it un-wound from needing libintl in pkg?

cheers

-George

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC