Subject: Re: wi woes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/2003 15:25:09
On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 01:21:03PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> 	Has anyone else been having problems with a wi0 card periodically
> hanging?  I've got a:
> wi0 at pci2 dev 3 function 0: Intersil Prism2.5 Wireless Lan
> wi0: interrupting at irq 10
> wi0: 802.11 address 00:09:5b:40:b7:de
> wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
> wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.0.7), Station (1.3.6)
> wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
>
> which gets errors that look (exactly) like this:
> wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 13d/0
>
> When this happens the card hangs for a while.  Recently (since the
> last reboot, no kernel change (1.6W, Aug 13)), it has stopped with
> the messages, but still hangs.  Running an "ifconfig wi0 down up"
> seems to get it back up faster, but the 'up' part of that ifconfig
> take a while to run (a few seconds, vs instant for e.g. wm0)
> 	I've since updated to 1.6Z, with no change in behavior.

Please send output from 'ifconfig wi0'.

Also, please break into the debugger next time a hang occurs, and send
me the stack trace.

BTW, wi is in need of an overhaul where it does not busy loop while it
waits for commands to complete. Instead it should tsleep() in the top
half, or frob a state variable and return in the bottom half. That will
end the annoying system pauses on PCI/PCMCIA wi and help us to add a
USB front-end to wi.

No fewer than two people have told me that they would do the overhaul
write a USB front-end. I do not remember their names.  Maybe I just
dreamt it. =)

Dave