Subject: Re: BSDi features (was: PAM & Re: BSD Authentication)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+current-users@bjan.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2003 17:10:42
On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 01:38:29AM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 06:41:24PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> > The boot.default stuff, well, it's a fair bit of work, but MAN is it useful.
> > For those who have never seen it:
> > 	* The boot loader loads a file called /etc/boot.default
> > 	* It can also take commands entered by hand
> > 	* Commands may pass parameters to the rest of the boot loader or
> > 	  the kernel
>
> Yeah, it's good stuff. It's been suggested several times that we
> implement something like that, but it just never happened. I
> believe NetBSD/pc98 has/had something like that..

FreeBSD has something similar. /sbin/loader, if I recall correctly,
with support files in /boot. It provides a Forth intepreter with
words for block and port I/O, amongst other things.

Very nice indeed, and perhaps one of the things I miss about FreeBSD.
The hard part would be to standardize the loader across all platforms.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+JUNK@bjan.net>