Subject: Re: PAM & Re: BSD Authentication
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2003 17:50:01
In message <20030908222606.GA18420@snew.com>, Chuck Yerkes writes:
>2) This thread started with Peter Seebach missing BSD Auth from
>   his BSDi days and wanting it in NetBSD.  I think he was offering
>   to do a bit of the work.  OpenBSD has free code that does it.
>   WindRiver has BSDi's code and it's not free.

Actually, the OpenBSD code is, almost entirely, the BSDi code, which
*IS* free.  Except for the client code in login/su/etc.  So, if you
look at the tarball Itojun contributed (THANK YOU!!!), there's still a
lot of BSDi copyrights.  And yes, just in case, I bounced a copy of the
tarball to the guy who wrote the code.

Anyway, we now have a viable set of patches for people who want to try
this.  Between this and the setusercontext() stuff, this is all the cool
login stuff that I miss from BSD/OS, which is what *I* wanted.  There are
still a few BSD/OS features I miss, and I don't know whether we can
ever have them, but at least it's progress.

(For the curious:  ipfw, which is not in any way related to the FreeBSD
gizmo of the same name, and the boot.default/boot.define stuff allowing
all sorts of magical kernel tweaking to be stored in nice editable text
files.)

-s