Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2003 15:35:57
>Anyway, the reason I prefer PAM is simple.
>1. We need PAM anyway, for compatibility with other UNIX.
>2. If we implement PAM over BSD auth, some third party PAM modules
>   may stop working, because some PAM modules may require the feature
>   that they can change the state of the caller process.
>3. Thus, we have to implement PAM as a basic feature (and implement
>   BSD auth over PAM, if BSD auth compatibility is needed), instead
>   of vice versa.

The problem is that there's these camps that seem to think that
there's some sort of either-or issue here. The issue is NOT "choose
PAM or BSD Auth". There *IS*NO*OPTION*FOR*PAM* on the table at all.
NetBSD will *NEVER* have PAM, unless someone steps forward to
implement it. *NOWHERE* in this thread has a single person done that.
So PAM is absolutely, totally irrelevant in this discussion. Throw it
out the window, ignore it completely. The ONLY question is...would
BSD Auth benefit enough people to warrant inclusion. I think that
that has already been established to be true.

BTW, I have no vested interest in either one. I will NOT be doing any
work on either one. I will NOT be using either one.

But this thread is totally ludicrous in the absurd directions that
people are trying to go with it.

Seebs, I'm with Chuck. Create your repository, do some of the work,
let others see and play with it. Words in emails won't get anything
done. When you've got code for the players to look at, then ideas can
be thrown around wrt abstraction to fit "the TNF goals" and it will
begin to take shape towards inclusion. VaporWare is VaporWare until
it's implemented (which both are on NetBSD ATM).

Just my opinion,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.