Subject: Re: Update disaster narrowly averted today!
To: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2003 14:57:40
walt wrote:-

> Now, should I reboot the new kernel before installing the new userland,
> or after?  Christos's post to this group said I should reboot first,
> but Neil's post indicated he had trouble when he did that, so I decided
> to install userland and THEN reboot the new kernel.

I'm sorry you were confused by my message.  I had problems solely
because I didn't have COMPAT_16.  Once I'd added that, then installing
the kernel without any userland changes has been fine (I've still not
upgraded userland and seen no issues).  I believe this is the general
idea.  I just missed the COMPAT_16 as it was only recently added, and
I'd incorrectly assumed I could use my config of 1 month ago to build
a new kernel.

Neil.