Subject: AW: pango port won't install
To: 'walt' <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
From: Dennis den Brok <roole@gmx.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/2003 11:42:37
> > While I do also think that dlsym() should behave better in
> case of =
> > error, I checked pango with revision 1.99-ld.elf_so on 1.6Y
> i386 and
> > it did not = work.
> > Appearantly, there are probably further traps (or I am
> doing something
> > completely wrong).
>
> What steps did you use to go back to 1.99?  I did it by
> downloading rtld.c 1.99 from the cvsweb repository and
> rebuilding the entire system from scratch and it DID work.
> But I only did it that way because I tried re-compiling just
> the code for ld.elf and got a bunch of compiler complaints
> about missing headers and such.
>
> Is there a simple and reliable way to build a small section
> of the system manually?  I'll be happy to try it again if you
> can tell me how.
>
> This morning I just saved the binary /libexec/ld.elf_so from
> the build I did yesterday (the 1.99 sources) and copied it
> over this morning's binary and that also worked perfectly.
> Before I did that I tried to run pango-querypackages and
> confirmed that it still segfaults with version 1.100 and
> still runs fine with yesterday's 1.99 binary.

I did it basically the same way, except for that I assured ld.elf_so is
already built and aborted the rest of the system compilation, then re-made
ld.elf_so with the appropriate revision of rtld.c. I suppose I will try it
again, perhaps building the complete distribution with the correct
rtld.c-revision this time, and have a look at the Glib-patch suggested by
Quentin Garnier yesterday. I hope that there is hope in this. ;-)

Cheers,

Dennis den Brok