Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/2003 01:03:56
[ On Friday, September 5, 2003 at 23:56:03 (-0700), John Nemeth wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
>
> On Dec 14,  6:52am, "Greg A. Woods" wrote:
> } [ On Thursday, August 28, 2003 at 14:37:37 (-0700), Bill Studenmund wrote: ]
> } > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Dan Melomedman wrote:
> } >
> } > > We need a clean/flexible nsswitch-like LDAP support. Linking LDAP
> } > > libraries into the C library seems like a nasty solution.
> } >
> } > Stuff like this is why we were talking about PAM in the first place. ;-)
> }
> } nsswitch doesn't need anything even remotely as big and complex as PAM
>
>      PAM is neither big nor complex.  I speak as someone that has
> worked both with applications using PAM and PAM modules.

You and I obviously have very different ideas of what "big" and
"complex" mean w.r.t. core security systems software.  PAM is,
relatively speaking, HUGE and extremely complex (and that's even if you
don't count ld.so, which I'm sure you'll admit is a really still a
fundamental part of PAM).

--
						Greg A. Woods