Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2003 22:50:43
On Dec 13,  1:52pm, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
} >And, perhaps more importantly, we could import the code from OpenBSD
} >*today* and have it working for every other case.
}
} If there's no need for integration with nsswitch.conf and the other
} goop in libc, why not simply add a libbsdauth to pkgsrc?

     This is the way PAM is "supported" in NetBSD today.  However, to
be truely useful, login, etc. must be modified support BSD auth and
PAM.  Putting these things in pkgsrc means that they have very limited
usefulness.  Unless, the packages supplies replacements for all
programs in the base system that needs to do authentication.  However,
I don't think this would be very feasible or maintainable.

}-- End of excerpt from Simon J. Gerraty