Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2003 22:23:36
On Jan 17,  8:19pm, Peter Seebach wrote:
} In message <m19sFuU-000AziC@proven.weird.com>, "Greg A. Woods" writes:
} >It's not "rubbish" because in fact there's no huge amount of effort
} >necessary to make everything work though BSD Auth.  We're really talking
} >only about one or a at most a couple of very simple new system calls
} >(they must be kept as simple as possible given they are security
} >related).
}
} And, perhaps more importantly, we could import the code from OpenBSD
} *today* and have it working for every other case.

     We can import code for PAM from FreeBSD, so that is a wash.

} It really looks as though the interfaces are different enough that we
} probably can't easily build a superset of their functionality.  But, we

     I'm going to have to agree with this statement.  Besides, the
interfaces really have to work the way they do other systems in order
to have application portability.

}-- End of excerpt from Peter Seebach