Subject: Re: -current bootblocks breaking booting off raid1 root?
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2003 16:10:03
> I haven't put anything important on this system yet, so if it'll
> make things simpler, I'd be glad to reinstall. How recent a -current
> do I need in order to install the boot blocks directly into the
> RAID1 root?

The last change was to bootxx/boot1.c on Aug 12.
The rest has worked for a while (probably since the new boot code went in).

I'm not sure of how to install a raid system though.
sysinst might do most of the work if you start by leaving 64 sectors
before the netbsd partition (for the raid header).
But you will still need to create the 'external' disklabel that has the
raid partition in it.

The only difficulty is getting the bios partition to point to the start
of the raid set, and having the root filesystem also at the start of the
raid set.

The disklabel on wd0 needs to define the raid volume, and the one in the
raid set itself how that is split.

Maybe sysinst should know what the raid header has to look like - then
it could create one copy of a raid1 set (a disk that is mirrored to
zero other places!)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk