Subject: Re: GCC3.3.1 switch coming soon.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2003 16:15:03
On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:34:26AM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> > GCC 3.3.1 causes *lots* of build problems in "pkgsrc"
> Seconded.  I just ran a bulk-build with gcc-3.3.1, and the result was
> 193 broken packages (in contrast to <25 broken packages).  Among them,
> it seems that KDE3 has problems with gcc-3.3.1.
Well. To my experience most freeware / opensource stuff / GNUware has
problems on _any_ compiler that is not GCC 2.95. Not to speak about
problems arising when the target is not a Linux/i386 (i.e. 32 bit, litle
endian) host. I can tell you nightmares about compiling lots of GNOME
on an Alpha running Tru64 UNIX with the Compaq/HP C and C++ compiler.
Or the IRIX MIPS-Pro compilers...

So the right way is the hard way: Get it compiled with GCC 3.3, make
local patches in pkgsrc and try to submit them to the authors of the
freeware.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen