Subject: Re: MKPKGINSTALL?
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2003 10:30:42
On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 12:29:04PM +0900, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Those pkg_install related commands are sometimes out of date and are
> needed to install newer version from pkgsrc.  After adding them from
> pkgsrc, updating and installing newer base system cause degrade of
> them again.  Ideally, stable releases (NetBSD 1.5 or 1.6 branch) are
> catched up to update of pkg_install, but not always (or needs some
> period.)
>
> How about introduce MKPKGINSTALL to prevent install pkg_install
> related command build and install on base system?
>
> (Of course, MKPKGINSTALL is instantly made name.)

We update the versions of pkg_install on the branches when we're
assured that they're stable.  Due to some recent changes, I personally
am taking a conservative view on this, but rest assured that a pullup
will definitely be requested for pkg_install so that the new
functionality will be sync-ed up to the release branches.

I'm against a MKPKGINSTALL variable, or anything that makes things
easier to leave systems in an inconsistent state.

Regards,
Alistair
--
Alistair Crooks                                  <agc@wasabisystems.com>