Subject: Re: No support for carbus txp devices?
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/2003 09:10:02
In message <200309031003.MAA0000119436@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>,
Matthias Drochner writes:

>jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU said:
>> I started splitting the vr990, but I need more docs from 3com before I
>> can support the  brand-new Cardbus card I got.
>
>good luck:-)
>Up to now, noone was able to get sufficient information out of 3com
>to support TCP cksums completely, or crypto stuff.

David Dillow at ORNL(?) (<dave@thedillows.org> is his personal email)
has the info, and has promised to submit Linux drivers as soon as Dave
Miller finishes a suitable kernel framework.  So the data can be gotten.

>> A 3cr990-tx-97 just arrived on my desk for other purposes.  I'll make
>> sure the split driver still works with that, then post diffs for
>> review (or just to Matthias, if thats more appropriate)
>
>I only have a 3cr990-fx, which is interesting because its media part
>was not properly handled by the OpenBSD driver, but certainly not
>a widely used card.
>Anyway, since the diffs are probably large, but quite straightforward,
>it should be sufficient to test with your and my card, and not post
>them to a mailing list.

The diffs are bigger than the files, not suprrisingly.  Do you have a
preference on what the sys/dev/ic files should be called?
sys/devi/ic/typhoon.[ch], or (following NetBSD precedents) sys/dev/ic/elinkxp.[ch]?

>> Anyone seen or heard of docs for 3com's "embedded firewall" family of cards?
>
>Looking at 3com's www site, it is not even obvious for me how much
>of the "firewall" functionality is in the card and what's just
>windows software.

Its magic firmware on the ARm inside the 3cr99x, not windows software.
The release notes say that once you download the embedded-firewall
software, the card wont let you donwload other firmware. (You have to
even install diag firmware before downloading the firewall firmware,
if you want to run diags at some later date).

I suppose I should add the PCI IDs for the cards I got from 3com.