Subject: Re: GCC3.3.1 switch coming soon.
To: enami tsugutomo <enami@but-b.or.jp>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/2003 21:31:00
On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:09:29PM +0900, enami tsugutomo wrote:
>> i've seen the reports about topdown VM but i have not investigated
>> them.  someone who uses that option should, i have enough other
>> things on my plate right now.
>
>It isn't compiler matter since the kernel built by 2.95.3 as well.  It
>is actually a bug in topdown vm code.  It incorrectly re-uses space
>already in-use under some condition which began to met recently.

where?  tell me tell me.  :)

>Attached is a change I'm currently playing with.  It includes a fix
>among other cleanups.

does the patch you sent rely on other recent changes?  i tried
applying it to my 8/10 source tree and while the kernel compiled
happily, it panicked very early on...early enough that it would not
generate a kernel dump.

it also looks like the patch drops some of the required changes to
deal with topdown...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."