Subject: Re: "build.sh -u" vs. "build.sh -U -u": METALOG handling after UPDATE...
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/2003 11:38:05
[ On Friday, August 29, 2003 at 17:26:16 (+0200), Alan Barrett wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: "build.sh -u" vs. "build.sh -U -u":  METALOG handling after UPDATE...
>
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > How does the mtree code (used in pax) handle multiple entries for the
> > same target file in the METALOG file?
>
> The last entry for a particular directory/file wins.

Yeah!  Thanks!

(previously, and right now but hopefully for the last time, I'd been
removing the full contents of $DESTDIR before running "build.sh -u -U"
but obviously there's a whole lot more to update when you do that! ;-)

> The entire metalog is parsed into a data structure using code identical
> to that used by mtree(1) itself, and then pax walks that data structure
> to do the real work.

I realized from a quick glance at the code that the whole file was being
parsed but I didn't see immediately what would happen to another record
for the same file.

--
						Greg A. Woods