Subject: Re: vipw AND gzip problems?
To: Geoff Wing <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2003 09:37:29
>:> Actually, anything dies after I do an unlimit:
>:Yep, it did. Everything works fine now. Odd, since USE_TOPDOWN_VM had never
>:caused me any problems before.
>That's the whole point.  Once you unrestrict the stack limit (with
>USE_TOPDOWN_VM compiled in), everything fails.

can you give step-by-step instructions to see this fail?  i've been
using topdown ever since i finished (longer than that, actually), and
i've never seen this before, and i can't get vipw (or chfn or chsh) to
fail in this way, no matter how i set my limits or which shell or
editor i use.

when did you last update your source tree?

are your kernel and userland in sync?