Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2003 01:44:40
>And, perhaps more importantly, we could import the code from OpenBSD
>*today* and have it working for every other case.

If there's no need for integration with nsswitch.conf and the other
goop in libc, why not simply add a libbsdauth to pkgsrc?

If there _is_ a need to integrate with the way the rest of the system
works, then its not likely that an import from OpenBSD will be trivial.
Ie. someone would need to do a bunch of work - and it sounds like
some folk won't appreciate the result anyway - "no shared libs on my box"
etc.

So for those folk perhaps a pkgsrc effort might be better anyway?

>In principle, I like the idea of a best-of-both-worlds implementation, except
>that I don't *trust* such things.  Too many attempts to build a "superset"
>end up getting bogged down - indeed, given the number of times this debate
>has been had, I think it's clear that this attempt *has* bogged down.

Agreed, I like to keep things simple too.  I'm not at all sure of the
implications for either PAM or BSD Auth given the current nsswitch.conf
stuff.  I'm not personally opposed to either or both being integrated,
but I know I won't be the one doing the work - ENOTIME|ENOENERGY
so my opinion doesn't matter that much ;-)

Anyway, is there any reason that pkgsrc isn't a viable short term
solution?

--sjg