Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2003 02:00:34
[ On Wednesday, August 27, 2003 at 21:57:28 (-0700), Simon J. Gerraty wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
>
> Now.... throw nsswitch.conf into the mix and it probably starts to
> get ugly.  Though apps that use nsswitch.conf would likely fit
> better with the PAM model - since they are already doing shared
> objects?

I have no shared objects on my systems which use nsswitch.conf.

Source code is a wonderful thing!  ;-)

Meanwhile if you admit that all the things which it is claimed only PAM
can do are actually possible with BSD Auth then doesn't it actually make
a lot more sense to start with the simpler scheme (i.e. BSD Auth) and
then provide _totally_ optional PAM hooks for those auth schemes where
only PAM-like code exists?

--
						Greg A. Woods