Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2003 01:48:36
[ On Wednesday, August 27, 2003 at 23:06:49 (-0400), Roland Dowdeswell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
>
> Once everything in pkgsrc that supports PAM has BSD Auth support,
> too, presumably added by one of the people who hates PAM then maybe
> it would make sense.

Clearly None of what's currently in pkgsrc needs PAM tightly integrated
at the moment since obviously PAM is not now tightly integrated into
NetBSD, so I really can't even begin to image what you're talking about.

(or have I somehow missed seeing or hearing about some new pkgsrc module
which magically integrates PAM into the NetBSD base OS after the fact?)

>  Until then, however, I think that it is rather
> obvious that BSD Auth is not going to actually solve the problem
> without quite a bit of extra coding that no one apparently cares
> to do.

I believe BSD Auth can solve the AFS problem with only a very tiny
amount of coding.  It probably took me a lot longer to understand why it
was that people thought AFS was a problem for BSD Auth than it would
take any one of the superb kernel programmers in these circles to
implement a well thought out design that allowed AFS to work more
closely and more appropriately with the Unix security model.

--
						Greg A. Woods