Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan Melomedman <dan@devonit.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2003 01:22:38
Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> "Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com>
> >> One of the key behaviors of PAM is that it happens in the application's
> >> context.
>
> >But that feature is not really necessary -- it's only used that way
> >now to implement some very poorly designed hacks.
>
> You keep saying rubbish like that, as though we all have endless time
> and energy to go re-invent wheels.  Sure, its all a simple matter of
> programming, so what?  Unless you are volunteering to go re-design
> RADIUS, AFS and a bunch of other stuff that folk other than
> you think are important, the above statement is pointless.
> Please try and deal with reality - all that old cruft that you like
> to dismiss as broken, and in need of re-design isn't going away
> any time soon.

Redesign/rewrites are not mandatory. It is by far better effort to work
around a specific flaw in crapware than to increase complexity of an OS
as a whole by applying poorly designed ware designed to support poorly
designed ware to existing tools. I would rather see a flaw-specific
work-around than an OS-wide change to support some broken crap.