Subject: Re: Now I've really done it: I have no more mbr
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2003 15:27:17
On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:47:11PM -0700, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> OK, so is there some way of mounting the entire disk and searching for
> /var/backup to regenerate my mbr or am I totally hosed this time?

dd the disk and search for the text of the actual file, don't bother
trying to interpret ffs structures, just look for the disk block
beginning with something like:

Disk: /dev/rwd0d
NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
cylinders: 16383 heads: 16 sectors/track: 63 (1008 sectors/cylinder)

(that's my /var/backups/work/fdisk.wd0)

you will also probably want disklabel.wd0, search for a sector starting with:

# /dev/rwd0d:
type: ESDI
disk: <your disk type, or just end there>

Good luck
--
Dan.