Subject: Re: NFS unmounting problem
To: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2003 02:39:28
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Geoff Wing wrote:

> walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com> typed:
> : I'm unable to unmount NFS mounts because of the way they appear in, well,
> : in the old days it would have been mtab or mnttab, but those are gone,
> : apparently, and I'm not sure where 'mount' gets its list of mounted fs's.
>
> /etc/fstab (unless you use amd)

Um, no. mount don't get the list of mounted fs's from there. mount get the
list of fs's to mount from fstab, along with default options for different
fs's to mount. There is a big difference.

However, mount have never gotten the list of mounted fs's from mtab
(or mnttab) either. That file is used by mountd to be able to report who
have mounted the exported fs's. Today that file is /var/db/mountdtab in
NetBSD. But since that is for mountd, it's on the server side in the NFS
view, and it's updated through rpc from umount. And that file is just for
information, and often contain inaccurate information anyway.

But that won't help, since it is umount that can't match up a file system
mounted that ends with a slash. (Oh, and I would think that mount gets the
list of mounted fs's from the kernel).

> : Anyway, 'mount' shows NFS mounts like this:
> : otherbox:/ on /mnt/ type nfs
> :
> : Note the trailing / after the mount directory.  This apparently screws
> : things up for umount, which claims that /mnt isn't mounted.  This is
> : correct, of course, since /mnt/ is the one that is mounted, not /mnt .
>
> Use the -R option: ``umount -R /mnt/''

Good suggestion. Let us know how it works out.

	Johnny