Subject: Re: bootxx_ffsv1 or bootxx_ffsv2?
To: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/2003 20:09:06
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:49:11AM +0100, Neil Booth wrote:
> I've installed the ffsv1 version as my bootblocks.  I'm not sure what
> the difference between the two, and I can't find anything anywhere
> that explains the difference (incidentally, the installboot manpage is
> quite confusing for x86, what with there being no boot.i386 and biosboot
> needing to be renamed boot - I've already had to rescue this system once
> from having /biosboot instead of boot!).  The FFS filesystems I use have
> been created with the most recent newfs if that matters.
>
> I'm scared to reboot unless I'm sure I've DTRT.

If I understand correctly, the ffsv1 version is for UFS1, the standard FS
netbsd uses, and the ffsv2 version is for UFS2, which (unless this has
changed recently) you have to explicitly specify on the newfs command line.
So (I think) you should be fine with bootxx_ffsv1, although I have not updated
my bootblocks in some time, so YMMV.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII