Subject: Re: Patch to change ethernet link addresses
To: None <,>
From: David Young <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/2003 18:59:47

I suggest that instead of adding 'lladdr' to the commands switch (cmds),
you add it to the address-family switch (afs).

It is important that an operator can restore the original MAC address
without rebooting. I think it should be restored when the last MAC address
is deleted. How do you think a driver should detect deletion of the last
MAC address?

I tentatively agree with Itojun that you should use SIOCDLIFADDR and
SIOCALIFADDR, instead of SIOCSLIFADDR, in anticipation of link-level
aliases. I agree tentatively because I do not (yet) see why support for
link-level aliases is desirable.

David Young             OJC Technologies      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933