Subject: Re: Miscellaneous OS features
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2003 13:33:55
On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 03:34:32PM -0400, Gary Thorpe wrote:
> This would be a very big change as there are a lot of ad hoc lpt
> devices (ulpt, bpp on sparc, lpt on pucs/isa/miscellaneous buses) that
> would need to be changed to use a ppbus framework. It would allow
> modern printing support, IEEE 1284 support, and other miscellaneous
> parallel devices like plip and zip/cdrom drives.

Sounds good to me. For example, I have a HP deskjet, which I currently
have to drive via a sort of crummy userspace PIO daemon if I want
to use it under NetBSD. I hate booting Windows, so ppbus would
be a good improvement, allowing me to talk IEEE 1284 to it.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                            fvdl@netbsd.org
NetBSD. Free, Unix-like OS. > 45 different platforms.    http://www.netbsd.org/